8.19.2013

DIY project: box springs to bed frame!


I'm ALWAYS looking at ways to make my house look a bit more modern or to do away with something that's driving me nuts. One of those things was the bed skirt on my guest room bed. To me, they're just kind of old fashioned. And Sayde loved to rub against it, so it was inevitably covered in dog hair. I wanted a clean look for that room, and after browsing the most dangerous website (aka Pinterest), I stumbled across an idea to send that bed skirt away for good. Another DIYer had covered their box springs with upholstery fabric and attached furniture legs to the bottom...can you say ingenious?! I couldn't resist trying to repurpose my own box springs. 

Project Materials:
-2.5 yards of duck cloth (60" wide) from Joann Fabrics in a dark navy color.
-4 pieces of 2"x4"x 8's to the bottom of the box springs for some extra support and to have something more substantial to attach furniture legs to.
-4 furniture legs (purchased) or DIY 
-2 1/2"-3" gold screws (roughly 20)
-cordless screw gun recommended
-staple gun and staples

I started by flipping the box springs upside down to attach the 2"x4"s...you'll want to measure the length and width. I had my lumber cut at Home Depot, then just rounded off the edges of the lumber. You'll lay them onto the box springs and use your cordless screw gun to attach them. Your attached lumber should look something like this: 

After screwing the supports in, I stood the box springs up on its side to attach the fabric. I wanted the ends to look decorative, so I attached small sections of fabric on the curved edges. Use the staple gun to secure the fabric every inch or two, making sure to pull the fabric tightly as you go. (This would probably work best with 2 people.) Next, attach the fabric along the sides. When you get to your ends, fold the fabric neatly and secure both ends with a staple. You'll do the same with the adjacent side. The fabric should gap slightly to reveal the underneath fabric. It's a pretty look! 


Attach your furniture legs last. If you purchase them, you'll probably want to pre-drill holes so that you can screw the legs in easily. I took the alternate approach and made my own legs, using squared blocks of 2"x6" and 4 pieces of 1"x3" to create a chunky block legs. The 1"x3"s were glued onto the 2"x6" outer edges using heavy duty Liquid Nails and finish nails. (Pattern found on www.ana-white.com.) 

Finished product: 

I couldn't be more happy! Fantastic look, a little bit of work and a new bed "frame" for less than $30. 

No comments:

Post a Comment